Saturday, May 8, 2010

Jalie 2796 Skort

I haven't been keeping up with the blog, but I have managed to do some sewing since last summer, though it's been in dribs and drabs. This Jalie skort caught my eye last year, and I finally made it last month, in time for some unusually warm weather. I made the regular waist height, and it easily covers my belly-button.
I actually did make a muslin for the compression shorts, and found that I needed to make the swayback adjustment; it fitted really nicely after that.


The skirt top layer is a Wazoodle ProCool Wicking Pique, and the compression shorts are a technical wicking fabric that I found at C&M Textiles in Ottawa. You can see the wicking side of the fabric in the interior shot below, it's really soft.

The only thing I did differently from the pattern instructions was to top-stitch the side seams in order to keep them flat (above left), and I cover-stitched the waistband seam too for the same reason.
This skort went together really fast, and I'll definitely make another one with some more fun fabric for the skirt layer.

2 comments:

  1. Please advise if you think this fabric could be easily sewn with a regular machine (zig zag stitch, of course). I do not have an overlock/serger and am a beginning sewer. I appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

    queensavealot@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jalie patterns are very good about being able to use a regular sewing machine if a serger is not at hand. There are also good videos on their website that show how to sew stretch fabrics on a regular sewing machine.

      Both of the fabrics I used here can be sewn with a regular machine, but it's vital to use the right type of needle. Usually a Stretch type, probably size 75/11 or maybe finer (65-70). I ALWAYS do stitch samples on stretch fabrics, and pull the seams until they break, or not!

      Delete