Sunday, May 13, 2012

Umm…Another One!

Well, this is how I work. It’s also how I buy clothes. When I find something that fits reasonably well, I buy all the colours that look good or fair on me! I’m pretty sure many women are like this, hell, who has time to shop, try on clothes…it’s just too damn frustrating! It’s why I sew! I only go shopping with my Mum when she reminds me it’s been a couple of months since we’ve had a mum-daughter day, so I also use it to snoop shop.

So, another Sorbetto! (The 4th is being cut out as soon as I finish writing this.) It works. I’ve had compliments on them, and another sewist has written down the details of where to get the pattern.

This is a simple cotton print from Fabricland, who never give much info on the fabric type. It’s a nice light weight type, and launders well! Not much ironing needed. The skirt is a burda style pattern from 2 years ago, blogged here, which I just fixed - the waist was way too big… by nearly 2 inches! Anyway, I love this skirt, and it’s so nice to be able to wear a top tucked in.

2012-05-11 003

I have to say, of the 3 Sorbettos to date, this is my favourite. It goes so well with this skirt and jeans, it is going to be worn to death! Navy is a great basic colour, and I have 2 more pieces of navy fabric that are destined to be skirts in the very near future. They will be different patterns though!

So a few details:

  1. It also took less than a yard, but because it was only 43 inches wide after laundering I wasn’t able to include the front box pleat. Not that I mind, it looks fine without it.
  2. I pinched out a *tiny* dart at the neckline on the tissue, for the front and back pieces, and the neckline does sit better than the second version.
  3. I lowered the front hem at center by 3/8 inch, tapering to 0 at the sides. It seems to look a bit better than the second version.

2012-05-11 004

2012-05-11_005  2012-05-11 006

But now look at the side view! The front hem pops out a bit like a maternity top! WTF!!! This did not manifest itself on the second version since the fabric was more drapey. So, one more little tweak to make.

Then I’m going to start playing with the pattern; I can see converting the bust darts to princess seams, and using a combined neckline/armhole facing that I saw *somewhere* (where? a book? online?) There is some very lovely silk charmeuse waiting!

7 comments:

  1. Definitely keep doing the same thing when it's working! I love this top with this skirt. Both fit you perfectly. They really make the most of your slim trim figure. I am feeling just slightly jealous here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin! I'm happy this top looks like it's going to work for me. About the slim figure...smoke and mirrors!! Don't ask me for a side-view!!! LOL! I carry my weight like I did both babies - ALL on the front!

      Delete
  2. What a nice silhouette for you, the Sorbetto really suits you. I love the fabric for this one, but the silk charmeuse one is sounding very luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to the silk charmeuse, and have found some more silk in the stash! It's reading your blog, and others in the blogrole at the right, that have made me finally wake up to start using better fabrics.

      Delete
  3. I love, love, love the Sorbetto top and I love your version of it. I've already made two for myself and I'm about to make two more. It's such a versatile top and you can do tons of modifications on it as I'm sure you're planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I have to say it's starting to get interesting now with different fabric choices and variations in the planning stages. I'm looking forward to seeing yours too!

      Delete
  4. Love your Sorbetto's - they are my all-time favourite for summer. Once you start experimenting with them, though, be warned...they are addictive....

    ReplyDelete