Just look at that face! Yeah, this is one happy boy, and he’s had to wait soooo long for this almost UFO to be finished.
This costume jumpsuit is a modified Burda Style pattern, it’s actually a spacesuit pattern from way back to January 2012. But Henry wanted an army costume with large pockets on the legs and up on top, similar to a RTW police costume that he’s had for years but is now just too small to get into.
All the main pieces were cut out and ready to go, but I didn’t have anything for the pockets. And so it lingered on my sewing work table, since before last Christmas. Not good! Eventually a search through my stash of Burda magazines yielded the right stuff.
The large billows pockets and flaps on the legs are from a boy’s shorts pattern, Burda Style 04-2010-131. They have a separate piece (long strip) sewn around the sides and bottom to add volume, and were actually really easy to assemble. I’ll keep this pocket pattern for future makes. I know, it’s really hard to see it on these pics. So much camo.
All the pocket flaps are held down with Velcro instead of the buttons that the shorts pattern used. Speed. This had to be done.
The pockets on the top were not so easy. The flaps are the same design as for the leg pockets, but I didn’t use a pattern for the pocket itself, just copied the pocket from his existing RTW police costume. This does not have the long side strip, I just made it a box by sewing the corners. They’re not as neat, and it turned out to be harder to sew to the suit.
All in all this jumpsuit was a pretty good pattern to use as the base. I can see this one being used for other types of costumes.
So after a long weekend last month sewing it all together, I’ve made one boy really happy! And another project off my table. Win for everyone.