Friday, October 21, 2016

Burda Style 01-2012-144 – Kid’s Jumpsuit Costume

Just look at that face! Yeah, this is one happy boy, and he’s had to wait soooo long for this almost UFO to be finished.

PIC_20161002_182140

This costume jumpsuit is a modified Burda Style pattern, it’s actually a spacesuit pattern from way back to January 2012. But Henry wanted an army costume with large pockets on the legs and up on top, similar to a RTW police costume that he’s had for years but is now just too small to get into.

All the main pieces were cut out and ready to go, but I didn’t have anything for the pockets. And so it lingered on my sewing work table, since before last Christmas. Not good! Eventually a search through my stash of Burda magazines yielded the right stuff.

 

 

BS_01-2012-144_technical_large

The large billows pockets and flaps on the legs are from a boy’s shorts pattern, Burda Style 04-2010-131. They have a separate piece (long strip) sewn around the sides and bottom to add volume, and were actually really easy to assemble. I’ll keep this pocket pattern for future makes. I know, it’s really hard to see it on these pics. So much camo.

PIC_20161002_182158  PIC_20161002_182209

All the pocket flaps are held down with Velcro instead of the buttons that the shorts pattern used. Speed. This had to be done.

PIC_20161002_182221The pockets on the top were not so easy. The flaps are the same design as for the leg pockets, but I didn’t use a pattern for the pocket itself, just copied the pocket from his existing RTW police costume. This does not have the long side strip, I just made it a box by sewing the corners. They’re not as neat, and it turned out to be harder to sew to the suit.

All in all this jumpsuit was a pretty good pattern to use as the base. I can see this one being used for other types of costumes.

So after a long weekend last month sewing it all together, I’ve made one boy really happy! And another project off my table. Win for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. What a great costume! I love that pixilated fabric. My boy would have loved this when he was younger too.

    ReplyDelete